Templates are reusable fragments of product content elements . Once you add a product to the page and choose template, it will automatically render template elements with product field data and images. You can add multiple products at once with the same template.
Benefits of using templates:
- link to the product – once product information changes, the template will be automatically updated,
- changes to template design will be automatically applied in every place it is used in your catalogs.
- a template can take a fraction of page and several of them can be used on one page creating multi-product pages,
- same templates can be used in Showroom (a dynamic and searchable catalog of your products).
However, a template can display one product only and look the same way for all products without an ability to tweak it. There is another alternative for building product pages – Layouts.
To create a new template follow the steps below.
1. Click All template from Templates tab. Also you can create new templates from the Catalog Designer.
2. Fill new template properties. Press the properties button at the top of the page and enter a template name, size and optionally change assignment properties.
Template size is specified as a fraction of the page. 1/2 is a half-page template (width or height), 1/4 is quarter and so on.
You can use multiple templates on the page if their size less than full page size
Assignment section defines if this template should be considered :
- Default page template – selected by default when you add multiple products to the catalog and used as a default catalog overlay in HTML catalogs.
- Default product details template – display product details in Showroom by default.
- Default product list template – display product in Showroom home, category and search pages.
3. Design template. Template Designer is similar to Catalog Designer with less elements. Product elements are not included as you should use placeholders that will be filled in time when product is linked to this template in the catalog.
Drag and drop elements or images from the right sidebar. The template should be designed within the configured page size area (selected in Template properties).
You can reuse the same template for different product categories, but selecting a category in the top bar will provide with list of field names that you can use in template text and image elements.
Add variants placeholder for product variants with different product options and prices. Read more how to create product options and variants and format in the catalog.
You should keep all elements within the selected Template Size boundaries, otherwise you will get an error
Save your template
4. Preview and test template. You can preview template for any products in the selected category ( Design for Category dropdown) in both HTML and PDF formats.
5. You can also edit templates from the catalog designer by clicking on the template tab.